Art. 1 General
1. The following Conditions of Use and data protection guidelines apply to the use of the Gutenberg Network and participation in the related online community. By registering and creating a user account including personal profile, users automatically consent to abide by these Conditions of Use.
2. Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (called ‘JGU’ in the following) reserves the right to make changes to these Conditions of Use. Users have the right to object to any change(s) within two weeks of being notified of these.
Art. 2 Data release
1. Users consent to allow JGU to use and save internally all of their data provided for the purposes of facilitating alumni-and network-related tasks. JGU herewith undertakes to observe the regulations pertaining to the processing of personal data.
2. Users can themselves determine which information on them will be displayed on the portal. Users can themselves determine what information on them can be viewed by other alumni visiting the portal.
3. JGU is obligated to handle the data provided by users through the portal in strict confidence and not to reveal it to third parties in any form or manner other than those permitted in these Conditions of Use.
Art. 3 User obligations
1. Users are obligated to use the portal for its intended purposes only. They are required to ensure, in particular that
a) No access data is made available to any unauthorized persons
b) The portal is used for private purposes only and not for commercial purposes
c) User data is not copied.
2. Every user is responsible for the content of their personal pages and personal profile. It is not the responsibility of JGU to review the content of the personal pages and profiles of users.
3. JGU is authorized to remove illegal content, that contrary to the objectives of JGU or individual user profiles and reserves the right to block any user who violates the obligations specified in Art. 3.
4. The data stored in the Gutenberg Network is confidential and may not be copied or provided to unauthorized third parties. Users must ensure during use of the portal that no unauthorized third parties obtain knowledge of this data. In particular, users are required to keep their access information confidential.
5. Users confirm they will not hold JGU liable for the content of linked (website) content and further confirm that they will not use the online pages provided by JGU for saving or disseminating obscene, threatening, racist or slanderous material. Users are required to ensure that no image, copyright, trademark, patent or other rights of third parties or the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany are infringed. JGU reserves the right to initiate legal proceedings against the user in question if this form of violation is repeated.
Art. 4 Use and charges
1. The use of the portal is free for current and former members and associates of JGU.
2. We reserve the right to decide, at our own discretion, whether to accept a registration or not. Users do not have a legal right to create a user account for the Gutenberg Network of Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz.
3. Users are aware that, in the current status of technological development, it is not possible to rule out the risk of faults in software programs and the corresponding documentation. Users have no right to make claims for compensation in this connection.
4. JGU can provide no guarantee that online services will be available at all times or will function correctly.
5. The software made available may not be distributed to third parties without prior approval. This also includes modified or extended versions of the software.
6. The inclusion of functions, parts of functions, database queries, text passages, images and the like, whether in whole or in part in other software, portals or projects is strictly prohibited.
Art. 5 Right to withdraw consent
1. Users are voluntarily giving consent to abide by these Conditions of Use.
2. This consent can be withdrawn at any time with effect for the future. Your declaration of withdrawal of consent should be sent to: Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Alumniservice und Netzwerkförderung, Forum universitatis 3, 55128 Mainz, Email: email@example.com. If you withdraw your consent, your user data will be permanently deleted from the portal.
Art. 6 Disclaimers
1. JGU assumes no liability towards users of the portal for losses or consequential losses of any kind, including losses arising as a result of interruption of work, computer crashes or failures as well as any losses in any form, unless it can be demonstrated that these losses occurred as the result of deliberate actions or gross negligence on the part of JGU.
2. JGU accepts no liability for disruption of the internet.
3. JGU accepts no liability for any violations of confidentiality of email messages or information transmitted in other forms.
4. JGU accepts no liability for the content of linked internet sites, unless the content not in accordance with the objectives of JGU is present on a linked internet site and failure to remove the link can be demonstrated to be the result of deliberate actions or gross negligence on the part of JGU.
5. Users agree to assume responsibility on behalf of JGU for all claims lodged by third parties with regard to any data they have themselves entered and released in the portal.
6. JGU is not obligated to review the content of personal profiles or the content posted by users.
Art. 7 Concluding provisions
1. Should any individual provisions of these Conditions of Use prove to be invalid, this shall have no effect on the validity of the remaining provisions. Any invalid or ambiguous provision shall be replaced by a provision designed to accomplish the original purpose of the invalid or ambiguous provision unless statutory legal requirements specify otherwise.
2. The laws of the Federal Republic of Germany exclusively apply to the use of the portal. The District Court of Mainz shall be the place of jurisdiction for all disputes arising in connection with these Conditions of Use unless statutory legal requirements specify otherwise.
Version: May 31, 2019